Thursday, May 27, 2010

grandpa

i don't know everything it means yet.
i am now a grandpa.
i have been a lot of things but this is a new thing and it looks like it will keep happening.

i held my new grandson max in my arms and i don't know all the words to say that i felt and thought - it was like the language belonged in a new category and there must be a new grandparents dictionary or encyclopedia to purcahse that would fill me in or describe what was going on...pictures would be nice. it seemed surreal. it was a miracle. i cannot really believe it has happened. my wife says something similiar, its something new - strange and beautiful at the same time. should i have taken my shoes off in that place.

i don't know everything it means yet.
i am now a grandpa.
there is another one, a girl arriving in the fall.

maybe it means some things without a doubt. it seems to mean something about my daughter and her husband for sure. it also surely means something about the miracle of new life. it probably means something about the past. it has to mean something about the future. it definitely means there is a young child whom i am now committed to in a way that will take shape for the rest of my days. i don't know everything it means but right now it means a lot even if there is a lot of white space in this new territory i find myself, with my wife off the map, and with this child in my arms at the hospital i am thinking this is an adventure.

when i held him i tried to hold him near my heart the way i held my children. there was a moment at the hospital when i whispered to him that i loved him the way i have always tried to tell my own children. i tried to imagine his future the way i did my own children. i am thinking there is a difference between being the grandparent and the parent - but some of these things are things that a grandpa needs to do. i will be glad to hold him, care for him, teach him to play basketball, read stories to him, wrestle with him, talk about faith with him, model a life before him - be the best grandpa i can be.

i don't know everything it means...yet.

i asked his parents if i could pray for him before i left to fly home. it was important to me to do this, something i do for others who are not even my family. i asked to God to bless him and when i said that i meant it the same way that Jesus blessed the children - asking intentionally for God's favor upon him. nothing less. i am asking for everything that grace can give, nothing less. i could not hardly talk out loud as the lump grew in my throat...and i hoped with everything i am, i was, or will be that he will be blessed...and that my heart spoke loud enough among the others, that it screamed as i grappled with words that i could not speak. in those prayerful spaces, in those pauses between my measured words and the difficult broken sentences, have no doubt that i demanded and begged the very best for my grandson with a furious hope accompanied by tears.

i have never been a grandpa before but i think these are important grandpa things to do.
i am looking forward to whatever is next max.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Tim & Elaine!! Does this mean that you're old now? Not Elaine, just Tim.

    ReplyDelete