Thursday, October 29, 2009

reading the bible

i was looking at a book i have on the shelf by robert mulholland and he is writing about the differences and the need balance between informational reading and formational reading.

informational reading is: reading quickly as much as possible, getting to the real meat, moving from one piece of information to the next, motivated by the mastery of the text, seeing it in a very objective light separate from us, analytical, critical, with a supreme interest in finding something that works.

i get the information approach especially since i do this weekly for a message...

formational reading is: one is concerned with depth and quality not quantity, we don't master the text the text masters us, we are the object, we are not detached but humbly engaged, we even assume we may not be able to know everything and accept the mystery.

formational reading is less familiar.
i have tried to include this as a discipline for my exploration in preparing a message.

formational reading is the most dangerous, the most risky way to read the bible.

"To find self formation by means of scripture reading, I must be open in docility to what its text may eventually tell me about myself; I must abide with formative reading until it yields to me its treasure. Formative reading implies, moreover, my willingness to change my current self in light of the formative insight scripture may radiate to me. The word as formative has the power to transform me. It can give rise to a new self in Christ, permeating all dimensions of my life. The word as formative can lift me beyond the stirrings of my ego and vital life so that I may discover my graced life form in the Eternal Word." --adrian van kaam

maverick

No comments:

Post a Comment